98.5 theLight is the Albury Wodonga’s non-denominational, Christian FM station. We broadcast music that is written by and/or sung by artists with a Christian belief and entertaining shows. Programs include lifestyle and current-affairs interviews and a series of popular inspirational segments.
Our style is modern, lighthearted and family-friendly with a focus on the community. 98.5 theLight helps people lead hopeful lives through fun entertainment, helpful content, uplifting experiences and a unique connection with their community.
If you want to listen to 98.5 theLight on the radio, find us on 98.5 MHz of the FM band. Anywhere else in the world, listen to entertaining Christian radio live online.
- In the early 1990’s AWCB Inc. started test broadcasting as 101.7 Rhema FM.
- In 1999 AWCB Inc. applied for a Long-Term Licence for 101.7Mhz we were using. Later that year AWCB Inc. were informed AWCB were unsuccessful.
- In 2005 the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) issued a Temporary Community Broadcasting Licence to AWCB Inc.. theLight began broadcasting on 28 May 2006 under this Temporary Broadcast Licence as 100.7 theLight and applied for a new TBL each year as needed.
- Because of the introduction of the ABC News service in 2008, 100.7 theLight was allocated a new frequency on 98.5Mhz and became 98.5 theLight.
- In November of 2013 the ACMA asked for applicants for temporary licence that 98.5 theLight broadcast on to become Long-Term which AWCB Inc. put in an application for.
- In January of 2014 AWCB Inc. were told of our success in gaining a Long-Term Licence.
- In October of 2014 AWCB inc. made application to ACMA to change the Local Area Plan (LAP). This increase in area will allow a larger broadcast area with better transmission locations such as Huon Hill. This application is still pending.
- Our actions are governed by our constitution and policies, as well as a number of laws and regulations, including the Broadcasting Services Act (1992) and the Community Broadcasters Code of Practice (2008) (also PDF).